ILRC Able Sail
Our sailing programs offer facilities, equipment and support services to make sailing accessible for people of any ability. Our programs aim to allow consumers to develop the skills and experience to sail as independently as possible while minimizing the impact of their disability.
Anyone who wishes to sail must fill out a waiver form prior to sailing. Click below to download the waiver form
Leisure Sailing Program
Our most popular program is Leisure Sailing that provides individuals with the experience of sailing, under the safety and guidance of our instructors. We also offer group sailing to community groups or agencies that support people with disabilities. We are also continually looking to expand our program to include seniors with disabilities, as we recognize that disability impacts us all.
Community Partner Program
Our Community Partner Program offers recreational sailing to groups or agencies serving people with disabilities. Our programs are highly regarded as a safe, fun and therapeutic experience for persons of any age or ability.
ILRC Able Sail has been undertaking active campaigns in promoting our programs in the disability community of Manitoba. Our goal is to offer the unique experience and freedom of sailing to all Manitobans.ILRC Able Sail
Hours of Operation
ILRC Able Sail operates over the summer months; July and August.
If you wish to book a sail you can call Eleanor, Tuesday Saturday, 9am to 3pm, at 431-866-5397
Sailing is available in 2022 from July 13 to August 24, every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
Sailing can be booked for any time between 9:30am and 2:30pm on a sailing day. With the last slot available being 1:30pm.
Individual rate: Each sail costs $52.50 per hour. To pay for one or more hours of individual sailing please click on the button below.
Group rate: Our group rate is $105.00 for one boat per hour. To pay for one or more hours of group sailing please click on the button below.
ILRC Able Sail Annual Membership: $525 - Membership includes as many sails as you want for the cost of your membership. To pay for your membership please click on the button below.
All prices include 5% GST
Cancellations and no-shows due to circumstances other than weather-related factors must be done 24 hours in advance.
Anyone who wishes to sail must fill out a waiver form prior to sailing. Click here to download the waiver formILRC Able Sail
ILRC Able Sail is a Winnipeg-based, accessible summer sailing program offered by the Independent Living Resource Centre. The program is founded, coordinated and operated by people with disabilities and dedicated volunteers.
We operate out of the beautiful Fort Whyte Alive, on Devonian Lake
Our mission is to provide Manitobans with disabilities the opportunity to access and enjoy sailing activities while promoting enhanced independence and community.
- To provide sailing opportunities for Manitobans regardless of ability, age, or economic means
- To provide a unique, enjoyable experience for our participants which includes opportunities for social, recreational, rehabilitative and competitive activities
- To build confidence, self-esteem, and enhance independence for people with mobilty or other impairments
ILRC Able Sail delivers an accessible sailing experience through program adaptations that includes:
- Automatic maneuvering system which includes joystick or sip-and-puff
- Lift & transfer device for easy access into and out of the boats
- Accessible docks and washrooms
- Untippable, unsinkable Martin 16 sailboats
Our boats feature:
- A weighted keel that makes the boat stable and uncapsizable
- Floatation foam within the hull which keeps the boat afloat even if punctured
- A self-tacking jib frees the sailor from heavy line hauling
- A second seat provides room for a sailing instructor or qualified sailing companion